Thursday, August 16, 2012

CrossFit NYC: The Black Box

Been there. Done that. Got the T-shirt. Literally.

I went to "The Big Apple" for a convention this past weekend and my friends invited me to join them on their visit to the CrossFit gym in Manhattan called "The Black Box".

We were driving in from ten hours away and trying to make it to the last class of the day, so time was of the essence. $12 in tolls and a few traffic jams later, I found the address, took the elevator up to the right floor and clumsily stumbled into the box with 5 min to spare.

There were several classes going on at once and I could see my friends warming up and stretching in the back as they waited for our class to start.

I borrowed cash to pay the $25 "drop-in fee". (I was informed that taking a credit card was possible, but a hassle.) I thought the price was very steep for one work out, but I was promised a CrossFit NYC T-shirt and a chance to "WOD" with my friends from Chicago in New York City, so I was in.

The Black Box has classes divided by experience level. We decided to take a beginners class. The WOD for the day was 3-3-3 push press at 75% of max and a game of tug of war. Seemed easy enough. Actually, it was too easy. We barely broke a sweat, but it was fun nonetheless.



I couldn't believe how much of a workout tug of war is! My friend and I were the only girls in class, so the coach chose us as team captains. We chose our team members gym class style and got in position. Our teams were pretty even. We had a good long battle going on for a while there before my team was declared winner of the first round. We dropped players one by one and switched up the teams a couple times. Rope burns were had. Egos were bruised. But it was so much fun!

I would definitely recommend that CrossFitters drop into another box when on vacation. Call ahead for info and request that a free shirt promoting that box be included with the drop-in WOD fee. How cool is it to have a collection that reflects your travels! Check the schedule online and confirm the correct location. Most of all, have fun!

WODing on the road? What a great way to keep it fresh!!

XO,
Fresh Foodie

No comments:

Post a Comment