Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Food for thought: HEALTH... and fitness


The most popular benefit of a clean diet and vigorous exercise is a leaner, meaner physique.  Everyone loves a "before and after" shot of a former fatty standing next to a new, stronger, slimmer version of themselves wearing fabulous clothes and having the time of their lives. But what seems to get lost in the shuffle are all of the health benefits that you can't see in pictures or fit into a little black dress.  These benefits come a lot sooner, and for many of us, are what keep us going strong when numbers on the scale won't budge or we still can't button those smaller jeans.

I've been suffering from many health problems since my mid-twenties that improved drastically within weeks of eating clean and training mean. For me, these benefits far outweigh (cheesy pun intended) the idea of a goal dress any day.

Here are a some of physical ailments that I suffered from on a regular basis that have improved considerably since I started my new lifestyle less than three months ago:

Chronic Insomnia
Depression
Anxiety
Nausea
Constipation
Endometriosis/Dysmenorrhea
Rapid heartbeat
Occasional Migraines
Fatigue

Can you imagine my surprise and relief when I noticed a SIGNIFICANT improvement in all of these within weeks?  Sure, I lost a few inches and a few pounds, but nothing drastic or even too noticeable.  But my quality of life HAS seen a drastic, noticeable change.  Because I treat my body better, I feel better.  And because I feel better, I do a little more, and I do it better than before.

So, even though I love to see the changes in my physique as much as the next person, having a new body pales in comparison to being the new, healthier me I'm starting to be.

What changes have YOU noticed in your health that aren't related to fitness and physique since starting a healthier way of life? How do these changes effect you on YOUR journey to better health?

Just a little food for thought...

XO,
Fresh Foodie

freshfoodiefitness on youtube
gozosa1980 on instagram and twitter

- Eat Clean Meals
- Eat Clean Grocery Hauls
- Eat Clean, Vegetarian Recipes
- Crossfit WODs
- Crossfit 101: Terminology for Newbies
- Monthly Challenges (current challenge: #plankadayseptember)
... and more!

2 comments:

  1. You ROCK! I love what you are doing I am a life long fresh foodie and I am joining you on your plank a day September mission! Today after being sick, I planked for 1min and 20sec arms bent. This is so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! And welcome to the September challenge! Awesome time. Don't forget to track your improvement. I love your lifestyle & blog!! So glad we "met"! :)

    ReplyDelete