Saturday, January 30, 2010

Fresh Foodie's Easy Low Fat Pumpkin Bread Pudding

I'm snowed in again. I knew the snow was coming this time, so I was prepared. Since I was craving something pumpkin, I got a can and some evaporated milk to see if I could come up with a low fat pumpkin recipe.

I went online and saw several recipes for pumpkin bread pudding. It sounded delicious, but most were complicated to make and full of rich ingredients. So I decided to try and make a easier, healthier version with the ingredients I had in my cupboards. After a long distance phone call to Mom for ideas about how to prepare bread pudding, this is what I came up with.  (I'm not much of a measuring cook, so there aren't many measurements.  But you can prepare according to your tastes and dietary needs.)

Enjoy! :)

Easy Low Fat Pumpkin Bread Pudding

5-6 slices of Bread of your choice, 2-3 days old (I used cinnamon raisin Ezekiel bread from the freezer, defrosted and toasted)
I can't believe it's not butter spray
3 eggs
1/2 can pure pumpkin (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
Pumpkin pie spice
vanilla
agave nectar
1 can fat free evaporated milk
dried fruit and/or nuts of your choice (I used dried cranberries)**
coconut flakes **
cinnamon sugar**
Caramel syrup **

**Optional

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Toast bread in toaster or toaster oven.

While bread is toasting, mix eggs, pumpkin, vanilla, evaporated milk, agave, spices and coconut in a bowl.

Spray Glass baking dish with ICBINB spray.

Cube toasted bread and spread evenly in pan.

Spray bread with a generous layer of ICBINB Spray.

Top with nuts and raisins.

Pour egg mixture evenly over bread mixture.

Make sure bread mixture is completely saturated with egg mixture in the pan and soak for 10 minutes.

Sprinkle with cinnamon sugar.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick entered into center comes out clean.

Cool at least 5-10 minutes.

Serve warm or cold and drizzled with caramel sauce.

Makes 6-8 servings.

No comments:

Post a Comment